Saturday, February 21, 2009

Urekaa........

Finally I got a linux kernel compiled and installed.
Again it was a trial and error method which costed me more than 8 hours!!!..
I know thats pretty poor for a veteran in compiling packages..
The problem was with initramfs ...I dont know what it stands for...

So, this is how I got it working...

Installed the Ubuntu source from Repo DVD.
It was downloaded to /usr/src.Unpacked it to a folder in my home directory.

Then in the directory, the following commands..
make menuconfig
make-kpkg kernel_image --initrd
That created a .deb package

Just opened the package which started the installer and finally allowed it to install its own grub menu.lst file...And That was the end of it.

Signing off
RK

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!!!! :)

Vivek.

Odakuzhal said...

Thank you....