Friday, January 23, 2009

Attendance

Well,its the same mundane topic.Attendance!

I hate going to the classes and listening to the "------- " that are uttered.
Should attendance be made mandatory ? Clearly the answer is No. And here are my reasonings........

1) The Attendance rules are made by desperate professors who fear, that there wont be any students in the class once the rules are waived. So thats an act of cowardice. Well, I simply feel pity on them. There are quite a handful of them in our colleges and their numbers are increasing.Its a social cancer which needs urgent treatment. I have found quite a few professors in my life who have the courage to say that he/she would not be taking attendance.

2) After all , I am 21 years old. I had been undergoing the so called "Education" for the last 16+ years. So I am a veteran as a student. And any one with so much of experience will be able to learn by oneself. Thinking otherwise is really an underestimation of the capability of the student community.

3)Learning is an art and it should be an enjoyable experience with enough freedom to experiment. I have spent nearly 99% of my class timings for day dreaming. So all the experiments where done on the topic :"dreaming".



4)There are a few number of lecturers who do not even have the right to step into a college campus. Asking the brilliant and vibrant minds of the country to listen to such foolish "idio.." is worser than killing them.Its a personal waste, a social waste and a national waste.

After having made so much of allegations, I wish to look into it from a neutral point.

As far as I am concerned, perhaps the only purpose of a lecture hour is to give an introduction to the topic.The introduction should initiate the spark needed for further studies.It may give an overview of the subject, so that when one start to read the topics on his own,he is ensured that he will have a smooth flow.Reading something , after having listened to its class , reduces the effort considerably.It gives him more time to think deeper into the subject rather than wasting time to understand the basic concepts. Clearly , that is what expected from an lecture hour.

But unfortunately ,not many knows this fundamental rule of teaching.And hence learning has become a routine process before the exams, purely aimed at getting grades. I simply feel sorry for myself and for the student communities of the present, past and future generations.

" A cigarette shortens your life by 1 minute, alcohol shortens your life by 10 minutes but a lecture shortens your life by 1 hour. ". Well, its a nude truth.So start bunking your classes if you don't want to lose any more .

Signing off
RK

No comments: